Tuesday, October 4, 2011

IRCPPS in the Links: Field Work in Conflict Settings

Jason Lyall writes in the Monkey Cage about the ethics and logistics of field work in a conflict zone:
...As part of my due diligence, I traveled to Khan Abad district with my survey team to participate in training sessions and to conduct site inspections of the survey actually being carried out. That’s when the problem arose. While we had negotiated prior access to our villages with the local militia commander, word had leaked from a careless enumerator that “two foreigners” (my program manager, Prakhar Sharma, and myself) were present. Turns out  a rival arbakicommander, one who controlled the main route to our chosen village, had also heard the news and was now setting up an ambush to catch us as we exited the village. Since I’m writing this blog post, you know that things ended well...